Saturday, March 3, 2012

Julie Gury of Joules Vintage Chic Spa Boutique



How long have you been collecting vintage?
I suppose I'd have to say, since I was a child, as I always gravitated towards older items. I like to tell the story of when, on my sixteenth birthday, after obtaining my driver's license, I drove directly to the Goodwill store.

What got you into collecting and selling vintage?
As is true for many collectors, the selling began as a way of continuing the collecting, and controlling the excess accumulation.


What are your favorite eras for vintage?
I have quite a few, and at the same time, no set favorite era. Naturally, I adore the 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's. Well, you see where I'm going...

What do you look for when you shop for vintage?
I look for quality! That is the most compelling feature, and can be evident in the integrity of materials, design of textiles, method of construction, and so forth. I really don't have interest in things that I would not personally care to add to my own collections. I like quirky and unusual articles too!


When you buy for your shop are you influenced by your personal taste?
Yes, totally so.

What would be your ultimate vintage find?
Oh, a Vionnet, a Fortuny, a Schiaparelli garment (I do own scarves, a purse, a perfume bottle, and lingerie cases), a Chanel couture item, another Claire McCardell dress, before I die. You know, the normal Holy Grail for a vintage fashion junkie. I'm a proud member of The Vintage Fashion Guild, so networking with the members is a really fabulous thing.

Where do you do the majority of your vintage shopping?
I'm afraid that cannot be revealed. Top secret information.


Is vintage popular in the city/town where you live?
Massively.

What do you find most challenging and most rewarding about running your vintage business?
It's hard to break away, and I tend to work around the clock at times. I'm positively obsessed! I am happiest when new owners love their Joules vintage, and are totally pleased.



What kind of things are in your personal vintage collections?
Many scarves. I have a lifelong love affair with textiles, so scarves are a lot of fun for me. House dresses, humble garments. Swirl wrap dresses. Slips and nightgowns, lovely lingerie. Fire King jadeite, Pyrex, vintage linens. And shoes, lots and lots of shoes, which truly fascinate me.

Where can we find your goods and connect with you?

Photos in this post © Joules Gury, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment