Sunday, March 4, 2012

Jen of Zwzzy Vintage



How long have you been collecting vintage?
I've been picking up random things from thrift stores since I was in my teens. I don't really consider myself a collector though. More of an admirer and lover. I appreciate it all.

What got you into collecting and selling vintage?
I think it was myself! My grandmother lived in San Francisco, and you can't help but admire the history of that city. Old photos and footage of her growing up with her 2 sisters and 2 brothers make my heart flutter. Then of course all the classic movies and such. I just found myself saying "wow, I love that outfit" 9,347,584,353 times. I then realized that I needed to have bright and loud mini dolly dresses! STAT!



What are your favorite eras for vintage?
Dude, that's SO hard to say! I do find myself going nuts over the late 60s-early 70s time period the most though. Oh, and disco of course. I'm like a fly to a light when it comes to sequins....MUST. HAVE. SEQUINS.

What do you look for when you shop for vintage?
Stains, ha ha. For my store, I always pick stuff that I would buy myself. My friend Amy (Shrinkle) always laughs when she sees what I pick out. Puke brown, tangerine orange, gold anything. I love it!


When you buy for your shop are you influenced by your personal taste?
Oh, I think I just answered that, hee-hee! Yeah, my store is a HUGE reflection of my taste. I can't tell you how many times I've had to rethink selling certain items!

What would be your ultimate vintage find?
Ferragamo platforms from the 40s. Like those rainbow ones Judy Garland sported. Wow!


Where do you do the majority of your vintage shopping?
Shhhh, that's a secret ;) I have inherited a lot of items as well.

Is vintage popular in the city/town where you live?
You know, I never leave the house so I'm not sure, ha ha. I live in super suburbia. Trapped between the city and the beach.

What do you find most challenging and most rewarding about running your vintage business?
The most challenging is finding time! I work 32 hours, and also volunteer at a local radio station that requires 8 hours of work a week. Plus, squeeze in a boyfriend and a kitty, I need 50 hour days! The most rewarding is making a sale and the buyer writes a super excited note! I love when someone finds a treasure that I've supplied for them!



What kind of things are in your personal vintage collections?
I'm mostly a dress whore. I have so many! I do love all things duck related too.

Where can we find your goods and connect with you online?
My main venue is my Etsy shop, Zwzzy. I've also just joined Market Publique, where it's all vintage clothing only! Amazing! And you can follow me on Twitter , Facebook and Pinterest.

Photos in this post © Zwzzy, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment