Thursday, March 1, 2012

Alex Keller of Alex Keller Vintage



How long have you been collecting vintage?
Since college. It started with thrifting for cool clothes. I go in cycles where I collect a lot of things, and then clean house.


What got you into collecting and selling vintage?
I've always liked pieces with history. My family is from Ukraine, and we have treasures from the old country with all sorts of stories. Recently, the selling came from vintage jewelry I just couldn't take apart for Jewelry Recycled. Then I wandered into housewares one day. I pur
chase what I like, but I can't keep everything!



What are your favorite eras for vintage?
I used to be a shabby chic sort of girl, but now I'm favoring mid century modern.

What would be your ultimate vintage find?
The one yet to be found is a mint Chanel bag! My favorite find so far is a fantastic cigarette holder.



Where kinds of venues supply the majority of your vintage goods?
Mostly thrift stores and church shops. I've also been to some estate sales, but that's tougher with a toddler in tow.




Is vintage popular in the city/town where you live?
Oh, yes! I think a lot of older folks who have lived here held onto lots of great things. So there is a lot of vintage to go around
.

What do you find most challenging and most rewarding about your vintage business?
I'm trying to keep my inventory at a more manageable level. I'm trying not to buy everything in sight! It's so hard to drive by a
thrift store without stopping. The pull of thrifting is strong. I enjoy putting custom blocks together for people, and today I was able to sell a tin to a woman who had the same one as a child. I also really like to hear that customers liked the little 'extra' I may have tucked into their package, or that they liked the packaging. I try to make each purchase feel a little special with some ribbon or paper, more like a present.



What kind of things are in your personal vintage collections?
I have some great Vera Neumann blouses, a fantastic Halston handbag, and some mid century modern chairs which I had recovered. I have a thing for chairs, so I might sell some. But I'm sure I'll replace them with other chairs before long.

Where can we find your goods and connect with you online (include your links for Twitter, Facebook, Etsy, etc)?

Alex Keller Studio, Jewelry by Alex Keller, Vintage by Alex Keller, my blog, Twitter and Pinterest.

Photos in this post © Alex Keller Vintage 2012.


No comments:

Post a Comment