Thursday, March 1, 2012

Martha Layton Smith of Open Door Studio



How long have you been collecting vintage?
I honestly think I was collecting Vintage finds before I even can remember. I still own my original tricycle, pedal car and all of the Barbie clothes and stuffed animals made by my Grandmother when I was a little one!

What got you
into collecting and selling vintage?
Seems I have been collecting forever. I saw a reusable purpose for things long before the reuse, recycle slogan was coined! After my father had passed in 1989... I happened to be driving past a newly established antique mall in my town. It was the anniversary of the date that my dad had died...I saw it as a sign...stopped in and from that day forward... I was hooked!



What are your favorite eras for vintage?
I have to admit, I am all over the place with that. Every room in my home has a different theme. My kitchen is decorated in a very 1930s-1940s style, my dining room is Shabby Chic; all white and chippy. My family room is Vintage travel and southwest themed, filled with kachinas. My main style focus is industrial and retro. I have everything from old advertising signs to oil drums re-purposed as side tables in my living room. I love old globes, maps and vintage books. I have tons of Original Vintage art as well as oil paintings I have created. I love bright, bold graphics.

Where kinds of venues supply the majority of your vintage goods?
I love a great flea market! My favorite is in Wisconsin.

Is vintage popular in the city/town where you live?
Oh, yes. I was once the manager of a small home decor and Antique shop. I am now the assistant manager at Treasure House Resale Shop in Glen Ellyn, IL, as well as the curator of my own vintage booth at Lil' Red Schoolhouse in Warrenville, IL.

What do you find most challenging a
nd most rewarding about your vintage business?
The challenge is the lull between sales. I used to sell about 5 items daily. I have to admit, I have not been listing as much as I would like. My focus tends to be on helping others. I am team Captain for the Vintage Etsy Society Street Team and that takes up lots of my time lately (not complaining at all...I love it!)


What kind o
f things are in your personal vintage collections?
Vintage Children's books, readers, 30-40's kitchen items. Unusual globes ( love the colors in the old ones) I've just purchased, on Etsy, a wonderful art table from 1925 an Antique Chautauqua Traveling Teacher Art desk! I adore it! I love all vintage art, paints, brushes, Pastels and old tubes of oil paints in Art boxes!


Where can we find your goods and connect with you online?
My Etsy Shop, my handmade shop, my fine art shop, on Twitter, my blog, and on Facebook.

Photos in this post © Open Door Studio, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment